Thursday, August 13, 2009

Deals Go To Those Who Are Flexible and Prepared

I am heading to Europe in a few weeks time, because I was given the opportunity to go on a trip for 10% of the retail price. I went to Vegas in April because I was able to take over someone else's flight, and wound up getting the hotel and car rental for virtually nothing. This pattern holds true for many other things that I am able to secure, be it goods or services, or events. My friends are always envious, but I am in no better financial position as many others. My only difference is that I am extremely prepared and very flexible, and I have found that this is the most critical factor in getting deals or not.

Firstly, I have an amount in my mind that I will spend on a travel opportunity, whether it is cash sitting in my bank account or at my disposal through a line of credit. It is not outrageous, usually about $2,000, which I will tap into without hesitatation if the deal is right. Secondly, everything else is prepared in advance - my passport is always updated, I keep a small amount in foreign currency, I have a list of people I can call who may want to join me so that I don't have to pay a single supplement, etc.

Secondly, I subscribe to certain newsletters that alert me to great deals, so that I am aware of what is available as soon as it is offered.

Thirdly, you need to know what something is worth, whether it is a flight or an item. The most important thing someone told me was that most people "know the price of everything and the value of nothing". I know what the typical price of a flight from Toronto to Vancouver is, or a weekend package to Las Vegas should be. I know that repositioning cruises provide one of the best values for a cruise. Or that many charter flights in winter to the Caribbean switch to local routes in the summer and must compete with local carriers on price. Many people are too lazy to identify opportunities - they would rather flip open a cataloguie at their travel agent and pick something when thye could save thousands of dollars.

So, there is not much difference between me and anyone else besides flexibility and preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment