Monday, March 30, 2009

Some People Still Don't Get It - It's the Economy, Stupid

I have just finished reading the latest editions of Men's Health and Esquire (borrowed from my city's excellent library system), and am flabbergasted that in these harsh economic times, that they are suggesting its readers buy wristwatches costing $6,000 to $10,000. I like watches (I own 6 of them), and while I would not buy a cheap $10 model that you can feel right away is made from cheap and inferior materials, I certainly would not even fork out $1,000 for a wristwatch.

When you read the excellent book, the Millionaire Mind, you'll find that the millionaires profiled would also not spend much money on a watch (but rather invest the money). So, while these magazines write articles on keeping its readers heads above water among the rough economic waters, on the other hand, its pushing $10,000 watches. In my humble opinion, anyone shallow enough to judge you by your wristwatch, is not someone I would want to keep as a friend. No wonder that both the economy is in the amount of trouble, and the population as self-absorbed and materialistic, that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment