Sunday, August 3, 2008

I'm Excited!

This is my first stab at a blog, so I'm excited! I think that it is a great way to get my thoughts,opinions and tips to a broader audience, and in a more efficient manner. I get so many requests from friends and acquaintances to explain to them my philosophy on the relationship between life, happiness and money, that this blog will hopefully be a better vehicle to accomplish that. I write this, knowing fully well, that not everyone will agree with all my opinions. That's fine, and what makes life interesting. If everybody thought the same way, how dull would this world be. I have had the good fortune (or misfortune) to spend time living or visiting three of the most materialistic (in my opinion) countries in the world - the US, Hong Kong (OK, perhaps technically not a country, but now part of China) and South Africa (I lived in South Africa for 18 years). I found that in these countries, people placed such importance on what you do,where you live, what you drive and what you wear. (Note, in South Africa, this refers mainly to the middle class population, black and white). Growing up exposed to this societal pressure was not always easy, as peer pressure is a powerful force. But succumbing to the shallowness of materialism was always something that made me feel uncomfortable or not genuine, and that has been my guiding light. So, I hope that this blog proves to be useful, constructive and enlightening. Use it in a way that gives you the most benefit. Some entries may be universally applicable, others to a select audience. I encourage any feedback and comments, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment